Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It's been 1yr since we left Ottawa

Luke here. Here are my thoughts, in a very random order!

As of today we have officially been away from Ottawa for 1 year. We had some slight ups and downs in the last year(break in's, job loss), but in the end all that matters is we are happy and strong together.

As you might have been following, we have been through many places in the last 12 months so lets recap:

Poland - Warszawa, Krakow, Zakopane
Netherlands - Amsterdam
Belgium - Brugge
Czech Rep - Prague, Cesky Krumlov
Austria - Vienna, Salzburg, Lake District
Hungary - Budapest
Germany - Berlin, Munich, Hamburg
Italy - Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terra, Pisa
France - Paris, Bordeaux, Nice, Cannes, Antibes
Monaco - Monte Carlo
Spain - Seville, Barcelona, Madrid, San Sebastian, Salamanca
Portugal - Lagos, Lisbon
England - London, Liverpool
Ireland - Dublin, Cork, Belfast (and coast), Letterkenny, Moher, Derry, Mallon Head
Croatia - Dubrovnik, Kolocep, Lopud


After 15 countries and 45 cities, we are not even close to seeing all that we want to see. We have been bitten by the travel bug.

We have learned a lot about life and eachother and how to be very happy and live without things that we were used to having... like a car for example. We walk more we eat better, we feel better (I've only been sick once since we've been here - a bad cold for 3 days last February), we feel healthier.

We try to get as much out of living here as we can. We have seen more of Ireland then most Irish people we talk to. Any long weekend (if the price is reasonable) we try to just fly somewhere new, trips to places like Liverpool and Hamburg. This weekend we're going to Co. Waterford to stay in a little town called Fisherman's Grove.

It was a scary thing to do - pack up, sell everything, give my CD's to Mike (maybe I'll actually get them back one day haha) quit our jobs, quit the band and leave our families - it all happened so quickly. I remember Jess mentioned once that "We should live in Ireland, I've always wanted to do that" (that was way before we went to Poland for the 1st time, stopping in Amsterdam and Zurich). Going to Poland, etc, made me realize how much is out there and how different and exciting things are. That was it for me, seeing all these new things when we went to Poland, the decision was easily made and after that it just happened....

I think this was the best thing we have done... the best thing for us, a newlywed couple. This trip (It's still a trip, it's still a holiday, we just have to go to work) has really defined us. Made us what we are and how we will be. I fell more in love with Jess over this time. She is like a part of me. I hate being away from her -even for a night. I hate going out without her (she's my best friend too) we have fun together and she is not a girly girl and can come out and be one of the "guys" at the local. That's what I love about my wife - She can kick your ass if need be but when it's just me and her she loves me like no one else and is a real woman! She's HOT too! :)

So we're happy BUT not content staying here forever. We are planning to live in as many other interesting places as we can (learn some languages while we're at it) before we come back to Canada and settle - yes eventually we will be back in Canada -when the Sens win the Stanley Cup, so it will be a while!

We are thinking Paris, or small town Italy somewhere near wine fields and the ocean. Greece is part of the EU so why not? And Jess convinced me that I'd like Australia. These are just ideas and plans but so far everything we set out to do we have done! So who knows where we'll end up next?

Jess Here.

One year. It's flown by. I can't believe we're still here. I think it's official -We pulled it off!

I agree with Luke, that this was the best thing we could have done. Our relationship is stronger than it ever was, we've seen things so many things together in the past year. Sistine Chapel, Statue of David, Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, The Colloseum, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Leaning Tower of Pisa, etc, etc. We did in a year what I thought, if I ever saw it all, would take years of one week vacations from Ottawa.

As you know, we also recently celebrated our first wedding anniversary. It's incredible. I feel as strong, no, stronger for Luke than I did before we left. We've seen and done so much together, we've formed a bond that I didn't know could exist. We've truly become best friends. After having only eachother to confide in and to whinge to over the last year, we've had to step up the friendship side of our relationship, which I think it one of the best things about being out here alone, together. I can't tell you how surprised I was that it had already been a year since we were all dolled up and celebrating with all of you. It truly was the best day of my life. I'd like to thank my parents for throwing us a beautiful, fun, wonderful wedding and I'd like to thank Luke's parents for bringing in 'the Polish connection' as my Mother would say. It was a terrific blend of Canadian and Polish traditions and I think that it was a complete success. I couldn't ask for better parents and parents-in-law.

Being here has really made me think about my relationships with my family and friends and I've come to realize the importance of these relationships. I'm 27 years old and I STILL feel homesick for my family. I talk to my parents every Sunday but that just makes me miss them more. My friends are another thing. I've made some female friends here, but it's just not the same as at home. I hope you girls know how important you are to me, and how much I miss the comraderie. You know the ins and outs of me, the good and the bad, the serious and the silly. I'll never be able to find anyone like the bunch of you - the motley crew. I wish you would all move here!

We'll be in Ireland for some more time, mainly due to the band that Luke is in. Not sure what the plan will be, we have to wait and see what happens, but we'll definitely be moving on at some point. Not sure where we'll end up, but I'm sure it will be another exciting adventure.

Our love to all of you for your support, encouragement and good wishes. WE MISS YOU!























(Thought you'd get a kick out of seeing how we've changed since we left..... Pretty hilarious - and embarrassing!!!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two bring tears to my eyes....I'm so happy for you.
Carm

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
I just want to let you know how proud I am of you both. When you told me of your plans I was in awe of you for being so brave. You guys are truly an inspiration for all of us, the relationship and life you two have built is absolutely amazing. I miss you both desperately, can't wait to catch up with you again.
Love always,
Laurie

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home